OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:25:26 -0400
What a great Father's Day gift - Yesterday Scott Huge (Geauga County birder)
and his dad found a female Mourning Warbler on private property in Claridon
Township, Geauga County.  A second bird was heard nearby making an 'alarm'
chip call and he noted that the female seemed agitated by their presence.
He was thinking maybe a breeding pair in this overgrown brush habitat.  They
left the area.

We went back today around 5:30pm and immediately located a male Mourning
Warbler carrying a caterpillar back to the area where yesterday's unseen
bird was heard.  We snapped several quick shots before the sky opened up and
drenched us.  You won't be able to 'chase' this bird but you might enjoy a
few pictures at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/sets/72157653319568110. Scott is
posting his find on eBird.

Sorry for the poor quality but the camera was pushed to the limit (ISO at
6400) in very low light conditions just before the storm.

Matt Valencic

Geauga County