OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:15:41 -0400
I spent parts of the last 2 days around Hoover Reservoir (northeast of Columbus), checking areas from Oxbow Island and the Sunbury causeway down through the dam.  Water level is still very high, so no mudflats here this year.  Mosquitoes were bad in some spots, but not overwhelming, so some areas might be sprayed here. Notable birds included:

Cormorants - everywhere on the open water.  It's hard to believe they don't have a rookery here yet.
Ring-billed Gulls - the first influx of post-breeders is under way, with small #s widespread.  High was 90 at the marina.
Bald Eagle - an immature was cruising the shoreline at Area F, near Maxtown Road
Osprey - 2 were soaring north of the Sunbury causeway; another was near the dam
Turkey Vultures - many small groups around traditional roosts.  Largest was 50 around the Dam.
Swallows - still a few late Cliff Swallow nests, at Twin Bidges, Sunbury Causeway, and the Dam.  Also had small #s of free-flying Cliffs, Trees, Rough-wings, and Barns at many locations
Vireos - many Warbling Vireos along the shoreline, along with a few Red-eyed (Dam, Oxbow Island)
Mimids - Catbirds were abundant, with many juveniles.  Single Thrashers were at Area O and the road to Oxbow Island
Warblers - Yellows were at many locations, but I couldn't find any Prothonotaries.  The only Yellow-throated found was singing in the riparian area below the dam. A Parula was out of place on Oxbow Island, possibly a post-breeding wanderer.
Orioles - despite all the shoreline habitat, I only found 2 Baltimores, both on Oxbow Island, a migrant trap for them.