OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 19:20:12 +0000
I went up to the Ashtabula Co. lakeshore to see if the shorebird migration had begun yet.  I was able to tally a least sandpiper at Conneaut harbor and 2 lesser yellowlegs at Walnut Beach.  Bald eagles were numerous; I had 10 at Conneaut, 1 along the North Kingsville shoreline, and 6 at Lakeshore Park in Ashtabula.  Other birds of interest: at Conneaut -- 50 double-crested cormorants, osprey, 5 Caspian terns, belted kingfisher, e. kingbird, warbling vireo, purple martin, and 250+ bank swallows (140 nest holes in a large sand pile).  At Walnut Beach were spotted sandpipers, Caspian tern, and tree, n. rough-winged, and barn swallows.  L. Erie remains high; most of the outer sand part of the spit at Conneaut is still under water.  As expected the Indian Trails wetland in Ashtabula was too flooded for shorebirds.  Craig Holt, Lowellville