OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2015 22:12:12 +0000
I had a really good day at Conneaut harbor today.  I arrived at 6:45 AM, it was sprinkling.  Before too long it started raining harder, making birding difficult for the rest of the morning.  I stayed until 11:30, then left to do other things.  I returned at 1:20 PM, there was a dry spell until about 3:00.  At 3:50 I left for good.  The only shorebirds present when I left were killdeers.  During the day, especially in the afternoon, there was good shorebird movement.  Other interesting birds were around here and there, so it was seldom boring.  Highlights were: 20 common mergansers (only 1 adult female, the rest youngsters), 1 red-breasted merganser, 20 double-crested cormorants, 27 turkey vultures, osprey, 8 bald eagles, 2 Am. avocets, 20 willets (3 flocks), spotted sandpipers, 2 greater yellowlegs, 7 least sandpipers, 4 Bonaparte's gulls, 6 Caspian terns, 2 common terns, belted kingfisher, purple martins, 75 bank swallows, gray catbird, and yellow warbler.  Craig Holt, Lowellville