OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2015 11:56:38 -0400
I think the use of ebird has unintentionally hurt the listserv.  I now get
hourly needs alerts from ebird, because people are more inclined to post to
ebird and dispense with the listserv altogether.  Boy can these needs
alerts be voluminous, especially on a day like 7/11,  a sunny, early
migration day  when many people are submitting lists for Cuyahoga County.
A number of not-so-usual warblers have in fact been spotted.  The listserv
has been a real time saver on notable sightings.  I have read on this
listserv that people don't have time to send email anymore.  I think that
takes lots less time than wading through ebird hourly needs alerts emails.

Finally the impersonalness of ebird causes issues.  For example someone
posted on ebird a little while back that they saw two, not one yellow
throated warblers at Clvld. Lakefront Nature Preserve (Dike 14)  That
sighting is not out of the question, but I would have liked it clarified
that what was viewed were not common yellowthroats, a more likely choice.
The listserv is a way of sharing with others and being available for
contact should others have questions.  Ebird, lacking contact information,
which some birders undoubtedly view as an asset, is no asset to people
receiving needs alerts.  I prefer posting to a platform where people can
ask questions and offer feedback.

Laura