OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2015 21:42:06 -0400
I stopped by several areas along the Scioto River in Columbus this morning, starting at Scioto Audubon and working north to Grandview Heights, Marble Cliff, and Griggs Dam.  I found nothing extraordinary, but did have some unusual species, including

Herons - many Great Blues in shallow areas along the river, but also a Green (Marble Cliff) and Great Egret (Scioto Aud)
Waterfowl - scattering of cormorants all along river, along with big flocks (60-80 birds) of post-breeding Canada Geese.
Herring Gull - an adult was at Griggs dam, probably one of the nesters from Campbell Quarry
E.Kingbirds - starting to gather along rivercourse, with 3-4 at both Scioto Audubon and Griggs
Bank Swallows - still a few around Griggs (they nest in private quarries west below the dam)
Cliff Swallows - still a few nesting below I-70 bridge near Scioto Audubon, but colony at Fishinger Bridge above Griggs Dam never got going this year.
Vireos - lots of the expected Warbling, but high #s of Red-eyed were unexpected.  I suspect they've fled ash-less upland woodlots that have lost much of their canopy.
Warblers - Yellow-throated, Yellow, & ComYellowthroats were singing at Scioto Audubon, while Yellow-throated and Prothonotary were still singing below Griggs Dam
Orioles - the only ones were at Scioto Audubon, with 1 Baltimore along river and 1 Orchard up in fields north of Grange Center.