OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:32:36 -0400
A fact that I think most people would find surprising is the fact that other species of birds sometime share the nest of the Osprey. The close-up wooden crossbar nest previously mentioned on the southeast corner of Greenbower Road and SR225 has House Sparrows residing in the lower portion of the nest. They can easily be seen coming and going. In the Clearwater area of Florida, Monk Parakeets commonly communally nest in the huge stick structures right below their fish eating hosts. Apparently there is no threat, on site security. So much to learn about Ospreys.

An acquaintance who is with Eagle Watch in Pinellas County, Florida, sent me the following message, which shows how well Ospreys are doing at other locations. Our previously mentioned 20 pair, what a drop in the bucket. Our Florida connection is that my wife Denise and I are five month residents in Clearwater, central gulf coast, Pinellas County. I hope all on Ohio Birds find the following informative correspondence we received of interest.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County

Hi Bob, I really enjoyed reading your post to Ohio Birds.  I think the ospreys do really well on artificial structures. Pinellas now has over 400 pair with the majority on artificial structures.  We even have them now on chimneys and residential roofs. I maintain my Migratory Bird Nest Removal Permit and still relocate them onto platforms, but the yearly number of required platforms goes up and up and up.  I have 24 planned for this year!  2 are replacements.  One of my platforms was struck by lightning Sunday morning (no birds in it) and I’ll have to replace that one and another that is tilting.  In Pinellas this year for EagleWatch we crossed over the 50% line.  Now more than 50% of our bald eagles are in artificial structures.  No one believes me when I tell them that, and they say, don’t you mean ospreys!  Nope! They are eagles. Well, I hope you are doing well and I was so delighted to read your post and know that you are still out keeping tabs on the birds of prey.