OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2015 21:26:28 -0400
Arrived between 7:00 & 7:30 pm.  The four Avocets were visible with a
telescope from the pull off on the north side of SR95 just before the wet
area on the north side of 95 and also from the observation platform.  One
can find the Avocets with binoculars but best views require a telescope.
From the pull off on the north side of 95,  the Avocets were towards the
white barn (look south and west) and were out in the water, sometimes
feeding by walking and swishing their bills in unison from side to side.
Also present were at least seven Short-billed Dowitchers, possibly more,
four Bonaparte's Gulls and at least five Sandhill Cranes.  Lots of mudflats
south of 95 with 100s of Killdeer and perhaps 30 to 40 Yellowlegs, only
Lessers by call.  The shorebirds were skittish.  Soon after my arrival an
adult Bald Eagle was the cause but later there was no apparent cause.  When
all the shorebirds were flushed into the air, I heard one maybe two Upland
Sandpipers giving flight calls.  However, never found the "uppies."  Also
present were two birders from Newark, husband (David?) and wife who got
their lifer Am. Avocets!  Congrats!  Good job!  David took the best photos
of the Arctic Loon that I missed earlier this year.  Avocets were still
present when I left at about 8:15 pm.
Jay

Jay G Lehman Cincinnati, OH
Sent from DROID RAZR HD