OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2015

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 2015 15:31:26 -0400
One other item of note from Conneaut: there are great numbers of Bank
Swallows hanging out on the piles of rock and gravel near the entrance to
the Boat Club (east of the sand spit). Tipped off by a local birder, we
drove over there and immediately saw perhaps two hundred swallows on the
utility wires and on top of the fence. As we scanned the gravel piles, we
realized that flocks of Bank Swallows were on every one, and quickly upped
our estimate to five hundred birds. Further scanning convinced us that even
this number was a serious underestimate; we have no real idea how many
birds are there.

Locals surely see this all the time, but it's quite a spectacle for those
of us from inland parts!

Bill Heck