OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
"Simpson, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpson, Bruce
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:59:37 -0400
  Lake Hope State Park & Zaleski State Forest are located 15 miles from
Nelsonville (Rte 33) off of Rte Rte 278. Below is a list of some of the
Birds seen Tues (Aug 25th)

   I arrived at 5:55 am & the Whip-poor-will started singing as it was
circling its territory. I heard another far away

  I explored a Shelter Woods & a Clear Cut along a ridge. I came across 2
different flocks of Warblers, Vireos, & Songbirds. I watched a flock of 8
Warblers & 2 Vireos for 30 minutes. They left & returned. I watched them
for another 30 minutes. I then came across another flock. I was getting
great & multiple looks. I then saw a Red-shouldered Hawk circling. The bird
then started flying toward me. It then pulled in its wings & dove into the
woods. The birds disappeared!

      Breeding Warblers
         Hooded-call notes
         Black-and-white-female, male
         Blue-winged-male
         Chestnut-sided-female, young
         Yellow-female
         Cerulean-male
         C Yellowthroat-singing
         Yellow-breasted Chat-call notes
         Yellow-throated-male
         Magnolia-singing
         Louisiana Waterthrush
         Worm-eating-singing

     Migrants
         Bay-breasted-female with breeding plummage
         Blackburian-female, young female
         Nashville
         Tennessee

    Other Birds
         Hawks
             Red-tailed
             Red-shouldered
        Baltimore Oriole-female
        Wood Thrush
        E Wood Peewee
        E Towhee
        Vireos
            Red-eyed
            White-eyed-singing
            Yelow-throated
        Cedar Waxwing-20+
        Carolina Wren
        Red-headed Woodpecker-20+
        N Flicker
        C Nighthawk
        Great Blue Heron
        E Bluebird
        E Phoebe

             Bruce Simpson-Naturalist at Blendon Woods Metro Park