OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:07:39 -0400
Follow up to Bill's post ..

I am able to ... usually , see at least a few evenings of Nighthawks
from my front yard.  Zanesville area - north end.  I've casually tracked
dates for a few years.

So far this year I had zero, until yesterday.  In a period of no more
than 10 minutes I had 100+.  Started around 7:30 pm.  There was a large
flock just at the North edge of my viewing and within a minute they
seemed to be coming primarily from the south as well as west and seemed
to form one huge south east movement.  I'm west of the Muskingum river
corridor and would not doubt that they move there and follow it, though
I have never observed them there.

Historically I usually see movement from the West heading South East.

I'm guessing the spend their days in various trees or tops of graveled
buildings and arise at similar times.   I'm fairly close to several
typical box stores , malls and their roof tops.   At least one pair has
been reported on the nearby mall this summer, nesting was reported one
building a few years ago.

   For me -  - this is a little later than previous prime times by a
week or so.