OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:58:03 -0400
It seems like de ja vu all over again (for the 4th time!)  Today I saw a
Leucistic Rose-breasted Grosbeak at my feeder - it is the 4th time in 5
years that I have seen one at home or in the woods nearby.  I posted
pictures at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/sets/72157653319568110 if you are
interested.  Sorry, I don't do Facebook but anyone is welcome to pass this
along if you like.

It begs the question - is this the same individual?  As you view the
pictures the first one is from today (2015), the next from 2014, then 2013
and finally 2011.  The 2013 and 2014 birds look the same (see the red
triangle point).  The others are not such good pictures - I was stuck with
quick shots and not the best views.

Other questions:

What are the chances that each year it is a different individual?  I think
very small.

Do leucistic birds pass on the leucistic trait to their offspring?  If yes
this could be different generations from the 2011 bird.   I could not find
anything about this on a quick Google search.

If it is the same individual, how old is it?  Longevity records from USGS
records suggest they can live 12-13 years (see
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/longevity/longevity_main.cfm and put in your
species).

What are the chances a white bird can make multiple trips between Central or
South America and Geauga County and not get snatched-up by a hawk?  If it's
the same bird perhaps it should buy a lottery ticket!

Matt Valencic

Geauga County (a 'birdy' place where 211 species of birds have been reported
to eBird so far this year).