OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2015 18:50:58 -0400
After lunch we made the ten minute walk from the parking area to the sandspit, arriving at 2:00PM. The Piping Plover was directly in front of the observation deck to greet us. It was still there upon our departure at 5:00PM. We assume this is the same Piping Plover which has been here the last three days, no leg bands and in non-breeding plumage. We saw no other birders during today's visit. The day's highlight was a Whimbrel at 4:15PM. It flew in from the east, landed on the break-wall, below and to the left of the big yellow dot crossing landmark. After about ten seconds, it took off turning over the wall and disappearing behind the break-wall headed back toward the lighthouse, not to be re-found. The irony of the Whimbrel sighting is that at 4:00PM while texting back and forth with Ben Morrison and Shari Jackson, who were on their way; Shari put an order in for a flock of Whimrels, fifteen minutes later, we got one. The Lake Erie water level in Conneaut Harbor was definitely lower today than two days ago. The interior pool on the sandspit is shrinking in size. Some of the other birds of interest today were: 1 Ruddy Turnstone in breeding plumage, 3 Bonaparte's Gulls, 1 female/Juvenile Common Merganser, 12 Bald Eagles (4 adults, 8 juveniles), 3 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 5 Semipalmated Plovers, 4 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 6 Least Sandpipers,  and 8 Killdeer. Another interesting day in Conneaut.

Bob and Denise Lane/ Mahoning County