OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:04:33 -0400

Upon our arrival at "The Conneaut Sandspit" at 7:30AM this morning, Wednesday; the little cutie Piping Plover was once again there to greet us. To reach the sandspit still required a ten minute walk from the parking area by the closed access gate. The un-banded probable juvenile Piping Plover is once again directly in front of the observation platform. At least eight days at the same location for a migrating Piping Plover passing thru has to be some kind of record for Ohio. For the record, the celebrity visitor was first found by Sally Isacco a week ago on Wednesday August 12th. For numerous birders the cooperative plover has provided them with a new Ohio Life Bird. With all the reports on E-bird, Facebook, and Ohio Birds, plus those unreported, there has probably been at least 75 birders who have succeeded in seeing the Piping Plover. It would have been nice to have a birder sign-in log under the observation platform. When you consider that only one or two Piping Plovers are normally recorded in Ohio each year and normally a one day wonder, this has been a special occasion. It is presently 8:00AM, along with the Piping Plover, some of the other highlights are a single Willet, a single Short-billed Dowitcher, a Pectoral Sandpiper, Least Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers and Sandpipers, 22 Bald Eagles, 50+ Bonaparte's Gulls, 16 Forster's Terns, 2 Caspian Terns, and one Great Black-backed Gull. If our little friend decides to stick around for the D-Day Reenactment this weekend; hopefully, being considered an endangered species by The U.S. Fish And Wildlife Service will warrant some government protection from the amphibious craft cruising on the sandspit tomorrow thru Sunday. We presently have the sandspit to ourselves. Quiet and pristine.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County