OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
"Simpson, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpson, Bruce
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 12:29:31 -0400
   Rocky Fork Metro Park Directions: From 1 270 take exit 30 to SR161/New
Albany, Go 3 miles, turn right on New Albany Rd E. Go 0.5 miles & turn onto
SR605. Go 1.4 miles, turn right on E Walnut St. Entrance 0.7 miles on left

     Last Friday was the Grand Opening. I have explored the park. The area
has an overgrown orchard, meadows, woods, woodland edge, a small pond &
some areas where water collects. The park has great potential for Birding.
The North Meadows Trail will become a Grassland area. This area is around
100 acres. Eventually the area will have Grassland birds. The small pond
had Wood Ducks yesterday & I received reports that many varieties of
Waterfowl have been seen in the pond during migration. In the area where
water collects, I saw a Solitary Sandpiper.The overgrown orchard will be a
good place to look for birds during fall migration as well as in the spring
when the fruit trees are blooming. On the woodland edge I saw Indigo
Buntings & in the woods I heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.
     I will be birding the area for Fall Migration so I will be sending out
Bird reports. I am excited about learning a new Metro Park birding area.

    Blendon Woods Metro Park employees will be maintaining the area.

        Blendon Woods Metro Park

         Nature Center
            614-895-6221

             Bruce Simpson-Naturalist at Blendon Woods Metro Park in
Columbus