OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2015 15:48:57 -0400

8/21, about 2:00.  They were pumping water out of the second impoundment north of the parking lot and herons and shorebirds are starting to congregate.  Shorebirds of note a Hudsonian Godwit and three stilt sandpipers.  Other shorebirds present were: killdeer, spotted sandpiper, greater and lesser yellowlegs, pectoral, semipalmated and least sandpipers, short-billed dowitcher, and Wilson's snipe.

Also of note were at least 22 snowy egrets and an adult little blue heron.  There were probably more snowy egrets, but that was what I saw at one time.  I saw a few elsewhere around that impoundment.

Habitat is just starting to develop and if they continue to pump, it should only get better.  Most of the birds are in the eastern third of the impoundment.

About 20 sandhill cranes at Metzger and a single flyby black tern.  There was a Bairds sandpiper on the beach at Magee Marsh.

John Pogacnik

Sent by Mailwise – Your emails, with style.:)