OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2015 08:16:29 -0400
After the walk out, I arrived out on "The Sandspit" at sunrise, about 6:35AM. It was a pleasant cool temperature of fifty-two degrees. I was welcomed by a nice variety of 8 shorebird species. It is presently 8:15AM, Sunday, and no sign of our little Piping Plover friend. Apparently Friday was the last day seen. This was still a remarkable length of time for a visit, the duration being at least ten days, August 12 thru August 21. Bob Krajeski, who is also presently here, informed me he was able to walk out early yesterday morning, Saturday, and had no luck finding our special visitor. Hopefully the Piping Plover is well fed and rested, and on a journey to the gulf coast. My morning highlight has been a Red Knot in gorgeous breeding plumage (photos taken). The other shorebirds here have been 2 Willets, 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, 1 Sanderling, 8 Semipalmated Plovers, 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 6 Least Sandpipers, and 4 Killdeer.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County