OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2015

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 00:10:10 +0000
 I returned to Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks (part of Euclid Creek Reservation) on Lakeshore Blvd & E. 174th St on Lake Erie today from 2pm to 5pm.  I found a few warblers and then at 3:40pm it started to rain and after the rain stopped around 4:15pm all of a sudden I realized there were many warblers/vireos very high up in the trees in the Wildwood woods darting back and forth and moving through the trees as I was standing near the part of Euclid Creek where you can see the marina parking lot in the overgrown area.  Many birds I could not see to ID as the creek area is much lower than the woods.  I went back to Villa Angela but most of the activity seemed to have been around Wildwood and the creek at that time.
Here are some of the birds I was able to see:  Wildwood: 2 Mourning Warblers (male with black bib) and female (seen separately at different times same general area) 1 Common Yellowthroat, 1 Magnolia Warbler, 3 American Redstarts, 1 Blackburnian Warbler, 2 Yellow Warblers, 1 first summer Green Heron, many Chimney Swifts, 2 Warbling Vireos, 2 Red-eyed Vireos,  1 Baltimore Oriole.  (The female Mourning Warbler had a split eye-ring and Peterson's warbler book said fall females tend to have whitish eye-arcs)
In Villa Angela: 3 Caspian Terns on beach, 1 American Redstart, 1 Wood Thrush, 1 Canada Warbler (visible high up trees on first path as you walk in from road to go to field)
Many American Robins, Gray Catbirds, few Northern Flickers.
Nancy Anderson (Richmond Heights)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/