OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2015 12:01:15 -0400
This is a rare hawk in Ohio. There have been some amusing preposterous
records of course, but I don't know if anyone has located and counted
the credible reports. Peterjohn (2001) admits only two acceptable sight
records for the state.  It seems some may stray into NW Ohio in the
fall, when this plentiful species of the plains farther west may get
snagged in the river of broad-wings following the western end of Lake
Erie each fall; unfortunately, this river seems to disperse really
quickly, and the birds are spread out by the time they get here. In the
NE, fall hawk-watchers at Conneaut regularly report a few there, too,
but...surprisingly few of these fairly distinctive migrants are
photographed for confirmation, and it is very very seldom that one will
hang around, as the Holmes County individual has. Hawk Mt in PA has only
about twenty records over decades.  Nobody's going to venture a number
of Swainson's well seen in Ohio, and very seldom will anyone get a
chance to chase one. So, if you really want to see an out-of-range
Swainson's in Ohio, jump on this chance to see this elsewhere-common
species.
Bill Whan
Columbus