OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2015 18:01:25 -0400
I visited several migrant traps around these 2 reservoirs north of Columbus, and found the uncertain weather had grounded a fair flush of migrants.  I started at the Alum Creek lake Visitors Center and beach (which had a large flock of gulls), then visited the New Galena peninsula, before headed over to Hoover for stops at the Wiese bikepath, Oxbow Island, and Mudhen Marsh.  Water levels were still unusually high at both lakes, so shorebird habitat was miniscule.  Fruit-eaters were the big story, with lots of waxwings, thrushes, and robins, all taking advantage of a strong berry crop in these areas.  Insectivores were less in evidence, despite lots of insects.  Notables included:

Herons - north Hoover had 6+ Great Egrets scattered around the shore, while Oxbow Island had 1 Green Heron

Hawks - accipiters were common, with Coopers at nearly every stop, along with a few Sharpies.  New Galena had another Broad-winged Hawk

Osprey,Eagles - Osprey were at every stop.  An adult Bald Eagles was at New Galena, while a juvenile was soaring over Mudhen marsh

Flycatchers - Wood Pewees were at every stop, while Phoebes were at Oxbow & Mudhen
Swallows - 6 Barn Swallows at the Alum Lake Beach were the only swallows
Vireos - White-eyed were singing at New Galena and Wiese Rd.  A Red-eyed was at New Galena, while 2 Warblings were still on Oxbow Island.  A Philadelphia was with a few warblers at Mudhen marsh.

Wrens,Gnatcatcher,kinglet - House Wrens were widespread, while a single Gnatcatcher was along the bikepath at Wiese Rd.  My FOS Ruby-crowned Kinglet was with a flock on Oxbow Island.

Thrushes,Mimids - Swainsons were everwhere, with 8 at New Galena the high.  Also had Wood Thrushes at both sites on Alum Lake.  Catbirds were also vcommon, and a Brown Thrasher remains at New Galena.

CedarWaxwings - most common migrant of the day, with flocks at every stop.  New Galena led with 75+, but most stops had 50+.

Warblers - not common.  Did have Nashville, Tennessee, Magnolia, Black-thr.Green, Blackpoll, Bay-breasted, Black&White, Redstart, N.Waterthrush,and Wilson's, but no spot had more than 6 individuals.