OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
"Simpson, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpson, Bruce
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2015 15:03:59 -0400
Delaware State Park is located 5 miles north of the city of Delaware off of
Rte 23. I visited the park on the 21st & 22nd (Mon & Tues) Below is a list
of some of the Birds seen there lately

A good plan to Bird at Delaware St Pk is to go first to the Campground
parking lot. Nearby is a Maintenance Rd (also called Sailboat Rd) that goes
to the lake. This is where Lakeview Trail starts. There are nice maps at
all the Trail heads. In the area of the intersection is a great place to
begin Birding. I spent an hour in this spot both mornings while there was a
lot of activity. I then travel the rest of Lakeview Trail. After that I go
to Mink Trail, which follows a creek to continue Birding

Another good place is the Beach area. The light sand helps the Osprey &
Bald Eagle to spot the fish in the water. They are a common sight to see
circling the beach looking for fish. There is a path through the woods at
the left
part of the beach. In addition, walking the beach road is good birding.
This road has little traffic

    Warblers
          Tennessee
          N Parula-young male singing
          Black-and-white-young male singing
          Nashville
          Magnolia
          Blackpoll
          Bay-breasted
          Blackburian
          American Redstart
          Black-throated Blue
          Black-throated Green-young male singing
          Orange-crowned

    Vireos
          White-eyed
          Blue-headed
          Philadelphia
          Warbling-young male singing
          Red-eyed
          Yellow-throated

   Songbirds
          Thrushes
               Wood
               Swanson's
               Gray-cheeked
               E Bluebird
        Cedar Waxwings-hundreds-everywhere
        Rose-breasted Grosbeak
        E Towhee
        N Flicker
        Carolina Wren
        Hairy Woodpecker
        Chimney Swift
        White-throated Sparrow

  Water Birds
        Double-crested Cormorant
        Great Blue Heron
        Belted Kingfisher
        Osprey-caught a fish

          Bruce Simpson-Naturalist at Blendon Woods Metro Park in Columbus