OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:43:25 -0400
Brainard Palmer-Ball, Kentucky's bird monographer, posted an interesting
weather outlook yesterday that we might be wise to consider up our way
today and tomorrow; here it is:

"The upper level low currently retrograding back into the Ohio Valley
from the southeastern Atlantic coast is a VERY anomalous weather feature
for this time of year. The associated rain that will be coming in from
the southeast may help to result in some sort of fallout of some
interesting birds. In early May 2013, a similar system resulted in Red
Phalaropes being strewn out all across the eastern US (an unprecedented
event).

Not really sure what might turn up as a result of this odd weather
system; it probably won't be pelagic or coastal species, but we might
get a better than average turnout of more eastern migrants that head
down east of the Appalachians and off the coast during fall. If nothing
else, southbound birds should run into the rainfall originating from the
south and I believe we should see a good fallout of migrants, perhaps
most apparent tomorrow morning. Both waterbirds (shorebirds, gulls,
terns, jaegers?) and songbirds (more than average Black-throated Blue,
Cape May, and Blackpoll warblers; Kirtland's Warbler?) could be
involved. Fun to speculate at least.
bpb, Louisville"

I'm not persuaded about the extra Kirtland's, but it might be a chance
to take a flier and hunt up a good spot without directions for a change.
As for that, I think of the late-lamented Yogi Berra: "Nobody goes there
anymore--it's too crowded."
Bill Whan