OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
John Kuenzli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kuenzli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:23:45 -0400
I had a productive morning birding this new Columbus-area metropark today.
From 8:00 - 10:30 I hiked about 2.5 miles of trails.  Highlights include:

15 Warbler species:
  - Blackburnian
  - Magnolia
  - Black-and White
  - Black-throated Blue
  - Chestnut-sided
  - Nashville
  - American Redstart
  - Common Yellowthroat
  - Bay-breasted
  - Hooded (2 different individuals)
  - Black-throated Green
  - MOURNING (I almost got a great close-up photo when it very briefly
popped up to my spishing.  Oh well.)
  - Tennessee
  - Palm

I also had a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, which I did get photos of (though they
are little better than of diagnostic use).  Swainson's thrushes are still
fairly common, and I had a Veery at one point.  Lincoln's Sparrow were
numerous.

A trickle of temperate migrants have started mixing in, with several each
of
  - Winter Wren
  - Dark-eyed Junco
  - Swamp Sparrow
  - White-throated Sparrow

I also watched a Cooper's Hawk chase a Sharp-shinned Hawk that had just
chased some Blue Jays.

Good birding,

John
--