OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2015 14:32:31 -0400
I stopped by Blacklick Woods intending to spend only a little time there, but, well, we all know how that goes on a fallout morning.  I didn't find any crews working on the trails.  What I did find was a fairly substantial fallout of migrants.  I started along the East loop of the Multi-purpose Trail, then worked my way back to the main part of the woods (the Beech and Maple Loops).  Migrant flocks were thick along the edge of the woods, less so inside of them.  Notables in 3 hours included:

Flycatchers - only Wood Pewees, but had 3-4
Swallows,Swifts - no swallows, but 10-12 Swifts were foraging over the main woods
Jays - steady movement, with 40-50 birds over the course of the morning
Vireos - had single Red-eyed and Blue-headed along the Maple Loop
Wrens - had my FOS Winter Wren, along with several House Wrens and many Carolinas
Kinglet - a single Ruby-crowned was hanging around the Nature Center shrubs
Thrushes - good morning, with 30+ Swainson's, 5 Gray-cheeked, 3 Wood, and a single Veery
Mimids - along with many Catbirds, there were 3 Brown Thrashers along the Multi-purpose Trail
Waxwings - plenty, with small flocks at many locations
Warblers - good numbers, average diversity.  Magnolias (15), Black-thr,Greens (10), and Redstarts (10) were easily the most common, but also had N.Parula, Nashvilles, Tennessees, Yellow-throated, Black-thr.Blue (3 males), Blackburnians, Blackpolls (6), Bay-breasteds (6), Ovenbirds, Black&White, Hooded (along Buttonbush Trail), and CommonYellowthroats
OtherMigrants - had 1 Indigo Bunting and 2-3 Rose-br.Grosbeaks
Icterids - no orioles, but a big flock of CommonGrackles (1200) were roosting at the east end of the park