OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2015 19:18:40 +0000
 Today I was in Areas M and N in Galena at the Hoover Nature Preserve policing trash with three friends, it was the "Annual Hoover Reservoir Litter Cleanup" sponsored by the Columbus Watershed Management. I help with the cleanup at the north end of Hoover Reservoir in the Galena area as that is where I have 250+ nest boxes. A "two pieces of trash with one bag" effort to clean the reservoir (Columbus' drinking water) and remove trash from the preserve. We removed over 400 gallons of trash. I did have a big challenge though as the Ruff continues to put on a show on the mudflats off Area M. I had a nice look at the bird Friday. I stopped and talked to multiple birders as I pasted the location for the Ruff. The bird was more cooperative today as it came along the shore in front of one group of birders, much to their delight. This is only the third time in 40 years that I have observed a Ruff at the Hoover mudflats. All three have been juveniles. Not as exciting as the breeding plumage Ruff at Big Island in 2010 but for those that is was a lifer for they could care less.
In addition to the Ruff the mudflats sported a small variety of shorebirds including Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Least Sandpiper, and a single Solitary Sandpiper.
Other birds of interest today included Bald eagle, Osprey, a Peregrine Falcon, Great Egrets, a few Wild Turkeys, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Belted Kingfisher and American Pipit. There were some warblers about but I didn't a good look to sort them out.
Now I have to get going on cleaning my nest boxes and reading them for winter.
Good birding one and all.
Charlie Bombaci