OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2015 01:17:57 +0000
 yahoo mail sent to the listserve seems to get messed up creating strange symbols with capital A's when you put a period and then space twice so I will try to change that on this post. went to villa angela/wildwood (part of Euclid creek reservation) on the east side of cleveland today from 1pm to 5:15pm with the heat of the day and warblers were hidden in only a few places. saw some in west end of villa angela up near the lake near the mobile home park fence and some south of the bathhouse in villa angela and the others were in the area when you start to walk in the entrance to the field in the trees at the east end of the field on the north side and also the birch/alder woods area especially towards the silver maple woods.
the most interesting sighting was a northern waterthrush that was making some type of warning call from my presence it kind of sounded like a "bing" sound like a white-throated sparrow. everytime I entered the east end of the silver maple woods it would "bing". after awhile I saw two ovenbirds and one seemed to be with the northern waterthrush.  one time the waterthrush flew high in a tree and the ovenbird was there too and then another time I saw the waterthrush fly into a very thickety bush that it kept returning to and was walking around on the ground in it and then an ovenbird walked out into the opening followed by the waterthrush where I got more views. it pumped its tail was heavily streaked and under the throat.
besides the 1 northern waterthrush and (2) ovenbirds, there was 1 black-and-white warbler, 1 black-throated blue warbler (male) 3 magnolia warblers, 1 blackpoll warbler, 1 palm warbler, 1 red-eyed vireo, (4) swainson's thrush (both parks) 1 wood thrush, 4 warbling vireos, 3 green herons (that all looked like 1st summer) on euclid creek in wildwood, and an osprey in a different part of the wetland that I have seen. was in west side of wetland closer to the old creek location in a tall dead tree near a large sumac tree and was there a long time.  also two warblers were not identified.
the waterthrush, palm warbler, blackpoll and swainson's thrush were new for me this season. if this does not work might have to switch to my gmail account.
Nancy Anderson from Richmond heights,https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/