OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 2015 01:39:18 -0400
Interesting day yesterday at Lawrence Woods SNP (Hardin County)
It was almost like Spring...only drabber. :-D

I decided to check out a path that has been maintained all year, but I
never had the time to see where it lead until yesterday.  Turns out it is
about a mile long and meanders all through some pretty good habitat.  I was
hoping to catch an Orange-crowned unaware...but all I found was a Female
Common Yellowthroat which looked SOOOOOOO close to an Orange-crowned
Warbler, that I had to wait till I got home to look at the pictures.  If
they keep this path open next year, it might be a good trail to go
exploring for all of those spring blackbirds, and Warblers that like that
type of habitat.. ;-)

After completing that mile walk through the grassland, I took the
traditional boardwalk path.  LOTS of unidentified peeping noises...I got
most I think, but things were flying in places too fast to track, and
others, they hid REALLY well. :-D

Notable Notes (To Me):

Must be Peregrine season because I saw one fly over as I was pulling
in...Beauty.
Took me two years...more like five, but whose counting?...but I finally got
a Mourning Warbler in the woods.
A Winter Wren made a brief "here's my butt, watch me leave" presence...cute
little thing, but I wish it had stayed long enough for a good picture.
Lots of Blue Jays..must be passing through..usually not that many.
Two Barred Owls were hooting it up at different ends of the woods.
At first I thought it was something else, but a Wild Turkey was calling out
in the woods somewhere.

That's it for Lawrence Woods.  One note for Big Island Wildlife Area...I
already have a Northern Harrier for the season...she flew right in front of
my car when I was heading home from Marion on Wednesday. Reminds me of a
poem...

Something Told The Wild Geese

Something told the wild geese
It was time to go;
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered, - 'snow'.
Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned, - 'frost'.

All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice,
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.

Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly -
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.

- Poem by Rachel Lyman Field

List from Lawrence Woods below.

Happy birding, and God bless!

Steve J.

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve-Prairie Path, Hardin, Ohio, US
Sep 26, 2015 9:35 AM - 10:55 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Mowed grassland trail. This would be good trail to explore
grasslands for Bobolinks in the Spring.
21 species

Turkey Vulture  5
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  4
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  2
Peregrine Falcon  1     flyover
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Blue Jay  12
American Crow  6
Tree Swallow  10
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
House Wren  2
Common Yellowthroat  2
Field Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal  1
American Goldfinch  6

View this checklist online at

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve, Hardin, Ohio, US
Sep 26, 2015 10:56 AM - 1:12 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.8 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
34 species

Canada Goose  2
Wild Turkey  1
Turkey Vulture  4