OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
eric elvert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
eric elvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:26:08 -0400
No we would not. We don't even behave that well when its an expected rare
bird that we see every year. So a "First" record I have no faith that we
would all "Behave". Perfect example was yesterday when I got to Hoover to
check the ruff out I was informed by other birders who there earlier that
there was one of our fellow birders out in the water with his trusty kayak
chasing the ruff up and down the mud flat trying to get closer and closer
with his gigantic camera. Im sure we all have stories like this. I
understand you want to add that perfect pic to your collection. But at the
cost of possibly scarring the bird away and taking away from someone else's
enjoyment who traveled just as far or farther than you. That's just garbage
and its selfish. Maybe we should look long and hard and take note of the
space they gave the flycatcher. It sure looks like they all got great pics
and looks at the bird. I know there are tons of respectful birders and
photographers out there that follow the unwritten rule of " give the bird
space" but there are always that one or two individuals that want to get
closer. Step away from the bird!
Bird On!!!

Eric Elvert
Dayton oh