OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
"J. Hochadel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Hochadel
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 2015 13:50:08 -0400
I saw this bird yesterday evening about 4 PM at the Walmart in
Cortland/Warren. This store is very close to the south end of Mosquito
Lake. The gull was with a small flock of Ring-billed Gulls (about 15) and
was about the same size. I was standing outside near the grocery entrance
to the store (waiting for a ride since my car was being repaired) when I
saw a group of gulls take off from the light posts. One gull stood out: it
was ALL WHITE, no darker areas anywhere. The end of the bill was a
yellow-orange and the legs were dark. When it flew over, there were no
markings underneath. When it tipped sideways and on the downstroke, the
wings were completely white. I tried to relocate this bird today, a short
while ago, but it was not present. Only two Ring-billed Gulls were there,
standing on a light post together. I’ll try to go back this evening, plus
check the south end of Mosquito Lake.

*A few comments:*

I’ve been birding for decades and understand how rare this sighting would
be. That is why I tried to relocate it and take photos *before *posting
anything. I am very cautious when it comes to posting about rare birds, for
numerous reasons.

I’m aware that there are plumage variations and *that could be the case
here*. That is why I wanted to get photos in order to research this a bit
more before posting anything.

I truly WANT someone else to see this bird to verify what it is.
Additionally, it would be fantastic if others can get a new life bird, if
it is indeed an Ivory Gull. It would be a new one for me.

Judy Hochadel