OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
Beverly Neubauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly Neubauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2015 15:48:40 -0400
What an excellent morning at the first parking area overlooking the
"lake"!  Mother Nature put on quite a show for us from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
With the north winds, not only did we have eagles, hawks, and a falcon but
also a decent selection of warblers arrived in small groups.  Several
visitors stopped to enjoy the "bird show"--especially 5 eagles!  The
exclamation of the morning from the visitors:  "Oh, my.  I didn't realize
all this was over here--especially the eagles."  The eagles are always the
stars of the "show".

     Bald eagles - 3 ad, 2 imm (2 adults sitting side by side were very
vocal and put on a good show fishing for breakfast)
     Osprey
     Cooper's hawk
     Red-tailed hawk
     Peregrine falcon
     Broad-winged hawk
     Greater and lesser yellowlegs
     Pectoral sp
     Killdeers
     Great egrets
     Great blue herons
     DC cormorants
     Wood ducks--males were in full color
     Mallards
     Blue-winged teals
     Eastern bluebirds
     Turkey vultures

Warblers reported:
     Palm
     Yellow-rumped
     Redstart
     Chestnut-sided
     Bay-breasted
     Black-throated green
     Black and White

Most of the warbler species are thanks to Kurt Stein and Eileen
Roberts.  Kurt also spotted  a ruby-crowned kinglet and yellow-bellied
sapsucker.

At the North Park, we discovered a couple of tree swallows.  On Tuesday, we
watched an osprey dive several times and was finally successful in catching
his fish.

Happy birding,
Ed and Bev Neubauer, Eileen Roberts, Monte Mercer, Kurt Stein, Roger Garber
(took several great shots of the eagles catching fish)