OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2015 17:13:10 -0400
Following up on the earlier reports on this listserv and via eBird, Ben Morrison and I headed up to the area of Rockside Rd. and Turney Rd. (Cuyahoga County) to try to locate the Fish Crows.  It did not take us long.

As we hit the eastern rim of the mighty Cuyahoga Valley on Rockside Rd., we could see several crows flying in the area and perched on wires and light posts.  We pulled in next to the Arby’s and had a few candidates immediately.  Unfortunately, no calls were heard in that moment.  A few birds began heading across Rockside Rd. into the Bedford Commons shopping area, so we decided to drive over there and follow them a bit.  As we pulled into Bedford Commons, we immediately heard Fish Crow call.  We headed behind the east end of the plaza to see if the birds were working on dumpsters and wound up seeing several birds come out of a large Cottonwood tree that is just east of the Goodwill drive thru (by Marc’s).  Once again, the birds scattered and there was definitely a mix of American Crows in with the Fish Crows (by now we had heard 2 call).

A group of about 8 birds headed south toward the neighborhood, so we followed them for a few blocks and found them feasting on some kind of Magnolia tree.  This group turned out to be all American Crows, so we headed back to the Cottonwood tree at Bedford Commons.  Immediately, we heard 2 Fish Crows calling from the tree.  It seemed as if the Fish Crows were staying in this tree most of the time we watched them for the next 10-15 minutes.  However, several times birds flew out in groups of 6-10 and several of the birds were smaller than the American Crows.  Roosted, the birds appeared to have structurally smaller and rounder heads than the AMCR.  It appeared that at least 1, more likely 2, birds were begging from at least one adult bird while sitting in plain sight for us both.  It is entirely possible that there are more birds there, in fact, Ben thought there could be as many as 7 total.  We felt comfortable marking 4 birds for the encounter.

Thanks for the previous reports of these birds.  It was cool to watch and listen to them.

Jon Cefus
Cuyahoga Falls

“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.”
-Douglas Adams