OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2015 22:59:49 -0400
I checked out areas around these 2 MetroParks south of Columbus, looking for migrants with some success.  Water levels around 3-Creeks were high, so herons & shorebird numbers were low.  I had made a quick run through Blacklick Woods the prior evening, and thought it might be more productive this morning.  It was.  Notables included:

Great Egret - only 1 at the #-Creeks Borrow Pits due to high water (usually they're in double-digits here)
Green-winged Teal - 5 were quite happy in the deeper Borrow Pits water at 3-Creeks
Red-headed Woodpecker - an adult was calling on the Beech-Maple Trail at Blacklick, raising hopes that they'll winter
Flycatchers - Wood Pewees were abundant at both sites, but Blacklick Woods also had Olive-sided and Acadian
Vireos - both sites had many Red-eyed , but 3-creeks also had a calling White-eyed and 6+ Warbling.
Thrushes - Wood Thrushes were notable, with 3 at each Park.  Swainson's had 1-2 more at each sites.
Mimids - Catbirds were abundant, and 3-Creeks also had a thrasher

Warblers - 10 sp. at Blacklick Woods, but only 3 at 3-Creeks.  Blacklick had 4-5 Redstarts, but also had Tennessee, Chesnut-sided, Black-thr.Blue (pair), Bl.-thr.Greens, Blackburnian, Black&White, Blackpoll, Ovenbird, and Canada.  3-Creeks had only Tennessee, Yellow-throated, and Redstarts, as well as many flyovers.