OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2015 21:45:27 -0400
I stopped by this new MetroPark in far NE Franklin County for a half-hour early this morning, and had quite a few good birds.  The western portion of the park that is now open has a great morning sun exposure, which seemed to get a lot of migrant activity.  I hiked from the new wetland south along the trail almost to the dogpark.  Notables included:

Green Herons - at least 4 were clustered in the wetland, which is great considering its small size.
Sora - 1 was foraging along the edge of the wetland, in plain view, early in the morning
Woodpeckers- a fly-by Red-headed near the parking lot could've been a resident; also had 4 Flickers and a Pileated along with the expected Red-bellies & Downies

Flycatchers - had a few WoodPewees and Great Crested Flycatchers
Mimids - had several Catbirds and a Brown Thrasher, all near the parking area
Warblers - still mostly AWOL, but did find a Tennessee, and had 2 unidentified flyovers
Buntings,Grosbeaks - ahd single Indigo Bunting and Rose-br.Grosbeak, along shrubby edge south of parking area
Icterids - 3-4 Bobolinks were in the field near the wetland, while a flock of 500+ Redwings woke from a roost in the cornfield near the entrance off Walnut Street

All this, plus the expected chickadees, titmice, finches, etc.....and all in 30 minutes.  Try to get out here early on a sunny morning in the next few weeks; you likely won't be disappointed.