OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:53:20 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip to Scioto Audubon MetroPark and nearby Berliner Park found a cool,clear morning with spotty migrant activity.  The bikepath above the dam only had 2 flocks of migrants, while the Berliner bikepath had only 1.  An early stop at Haul Rd produced little.  Notables for the morning included:

GreatEgrets - 16 were in the bay off the boat launch.  The Rnager informed us that 45+ had been there a few days earlier.

Cormorants - the first big waves, with flocks at many points along the river.

Raptors - little other than Red-tails, but they were widespread, including a rather tame juvenile in the meadow west of GIAC

Flycatchers - WoodPewees were scattered over both sites, but there was little else other than a brief glimpse of an Empidonax

Swallows - small groups of Rough-winged Swallows were at several spots along the river, and a single Barn was a fly-by in the meadow north of GIAC

Vireos - Warblings were at many spots along the river, with many birds singing.  We also had a Red-eyed, and I had 2 White-eyed in the scrublands along Haul Rd early in the morning.

Thrushes - heard Swainson's at several places, but they were not common

Mimids - could only find Catbirds, but they were rather common, calling in many places

Warblers - 8 species, with Blackpolls taking top spot with 7-8, but all were hard to find.  Also had Nashville, Magnolia, Tennessee, Black-thr.Green, Black&White, AmRedstart (3 at Berliner), Palm.

Other migrants - small #s of Indigo Buntings in the meadow North of GIAC.  Also had 1 Scarlet Tanager.