OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2015 10:23:35 -0400
This past week, I decided to once again, make an effort to express my concerns over some protection for the migrating birds, especially the shorebirds, that stopover to rest and feed on what I call, "The Conneaut Sandspit", to The Port Authority. The sandbar, as they call it, is managed by them. I sent them several sets of photographs showing everything from a very large fifth-wheel trailer set up on the sandbar, to 4 by 4 pickups driving thru the pool areas, to pickups being stuck in these pools. If you read the sign on the way in, driving in the water is a violation of their rules. If the seasonal flooded water areas on the sandbar were off limits, this would give the birds, at least some safe haven. There has been some recent rumors of The Port Authority putting a barrier and a gate just past the cutoff road that goes to the marina beach area, a short walk to the observation deck, which would keep vehicles off the sandbar. Personally I don't see this happening. The following excerpt is a response to me, amazingly on Sunday morning, from Joe Raisian of The Conneaut Port Authority. I do appreciate that he did take the time to reply.
Bob, thanks for the photos. We have seen many of those this summer. Birds and trucks. The Conneaut Sandbar is open to "ALL" visitors and guests. We have over 10,000 boaters, swimmers, jet skis, canoes, kayaks, picnickers, visitors and birders. We all share this area. There are times when it is difficult to see who was here first. We at the Conneaut Port Authority have made huge efforts to provide access to these sites for the general public. To "ALL" the general public that will continue. There are times when people do not behave and I am sorry for that. We are currently reinvesting in better security cameras and have had very little issues this summer. That being said, we will strive for a better sandbar for the community.