OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2015 14:06:12 -0400
In an effort to make other Ohio bird checklists comparable, I have
expanded my Franklin County Checklist to include annotated species
occurrences in adjacent counties: Delaware, Union, Madison, Pickaway,
Licking, and Fairfield.
        This makes its coverage similar to that surrounding other large cities
such as Dayton, Cincinnati, Toledo, Cleveland, and Akron. Franklin
county records amount to 338 species, and confirmed records in the
adjacent counties add 18 more: Pacific loon, magnificent frigatebird,
reddish egret, cinnamon teal, common eider, harlequin duck,
swallow-tailed kite, Harris's hawk, gyrfalcon, long-billed curlew,
parasitic jaeger, Sabine's gull, Arctic tern, groove-billed ani,
black-billed magpie, common raven, Bohemian waxwing, and painted
bunting. That's 356 species in the central region.
        In comparison with other recent publications from Ohio regions,
Larry Rosche's 2004 "Birds of the Cleveland Region" reports 367 species
in seven counties, and Anderson et al. report 357 species in Lucas
County and parts of four other counties, including one in Michigan. I
think the Franklin County numbers are impressive compared to areas made
species-rich by the presence of Lake Erie. The most recent published
studies of the birds in or near Dayton (1984) and Cincinnati (in 1953!)
are way out of date and not comparable. It would be interesting
eventually to have recent checklists of these five regions--the Franklin
County list is far more more detailed than any of the others.  Ours is
available online courtesy of the Columbus Audubon Society at
http://www.columbusaudubon.org/index.php/2012-11-05-00-23-09/franklin-county-annotated-checklist
  .
Bill Whan
Columbus