OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:01:39 +0000
The recent posting about a couple window strikes by migrating birds highlights a recurring threat to birds, but unlike so many other threats, each and every homeowner can easily solve this one, at least with regard to their own home.

We used to have this problem at our home in the woods, where we feed birds. We also have a Red Pine my study window and that tree is riddled with Yellow-bellied Sapsucker holes. Sapsuckers show up reliably every spring and every fall and stick around for close to a week working their sap wells. When one collided into my study window it spurred me to solve this problem once and for all.

The answer is dark-colored nylon cords ("parachute cord") hung vertically on the outside of your windows, spaced 4-4.5 inches apart. Yup, you read that right. That's all there is to it--and simple yet permanent solution.

The cords serve to break up the glass reflection. But more important, songbirds see these thin black cords in the same way they see branches. That is, they know how wide their wingspan is and they don't try to fly between the dark cords. In fact, if your bird feeder is close to the window, some species often hang on the cords, waiting their turn at the feeder.

The cords sway gently in the wind, appear elegant in their own way, and give a kind of Zen-like feel to your home.

Anyone can make these for their home or apartment at extremely low cost. If you don't want to make them yourself, you can order them from Acopian Bird Savers: http://www.birdsavers.com/ All the information you need is on that site, including how to make your own.

You will feel so good about solving this problem at your home that you, too, will likely become a disciple. If anyone would like photos of our bird strings and how we hung them here, contact me off-list and I am happy to send photos on to you off-list.

While homes are only a part of the huge window-strike problem facing birds, most of us who feed birds are contributing to the problem and this part of the problem is an easy one to solve, folks!

-Patrick Coy

Peninsula, OH