OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 15:31:26 -0400
I got out early in the morning before the rain really got going, and had quite a mix of temperate migrants.  I started at Cruiser Pond and the nearby Groveport Blacklick bikepath, then moved over to Pickerington Ponds and the nearby Portman Park.  Water levels in Blacklick Creek and at Pick Ponds are very low; at the Ponds, essentially only Ellis Pond & Teal Pond have any water.  Notables included:

Acadian Flycatcher - 1 calling juvenile at Portman Park, about as late as I've ever seen one
E.Phoebes - single birds at the bikepath and at Portman Park
WinterWrens - 1 was along the bikepath, while another 2 were at Portman park
Kinglets - Ruby-crowns were at every stop, while the only Golden-crowns were at Portman
Thrushes - only Robins, but they were abundant, with flocks at many locations
Warblers - only Yellow-rumps, but they were widespread and common
Sparrows - Whit-throateds and Songs were abundant, but also had White-crowned (PickPonds), Swamps (several spots), Lincoln's (bikepath), and Juncos (bikepath), as well as expected Chipping & Field
Blackbirds - small Redwings flocks were at many spots; at PickPOnds, the flocks weren't so small, totaling over 350 birds.  A Rusty Blackbird was at the kettle pond at Cruiser Pond.

Waterfowl- Ellis POnd was strangely empty, having only a lone Ring-necked Ducks.  Teal Pond had lots of Coots, Mallards, & Green-winged Teal, along with a few Wigeon, Shovelers, and Pintail.

Shorebirds - Teal Pond had a mixed flock that included 25+ Kildeer, 1 L.Yellowlegs, 5 Pectoral, 5 Snipe, and about 10 that I couldn't ID because everything was flushed by a Cooper's Hawk