OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
"P.J. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P.J. Johnson
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:56:36 +0000
 This afternoon at Springfield Lake (Summit Co.) I saw about 30 American Coots.  They've been hanging around since last week.
Also saw a juvenile Bald Eagle harassing a group of swimming mallards, who were trying their best not to panic as the BE repeatedly rose up, turned, and swooped back down almost on top of them.  The mallards did well, clustering tightly together, diving into the water, although there were some flapping of wings, and they continued to move out into the lake.  At one point the BE landed on the water, missed a duck, and hauled himself back into the air.  The BE got discouraged and flew off, although he showed back up a few minutes later, and cruised over the lake.  The whole interaction lasted probably five minutes or so.  I'd gone to the lake to eat a late lunch, and got so excited that I dropped my sandwich when grabbing for my binoculars!  (It was worth it!)
Jean JohnsonAkron, OH