OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
Dan Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:04:17 -0400
An already impressive congregation of American crows has formed again in the
New Philadelphia area, Tuscarawas County.  I noticed the first group of
about 200 birds feeding in a corn field along the Tuscarawas River just east
of the New Towne Mall in the first week of October.  The numbers have
gradually increased daily since then.  Last week there were upwards of 1000
birds massing in this field as I nightly passed by on US Rt. 250 just before
6 pm.  These birds were beginning to go to roost in the trees along the
river as others continued to arrive from the south and west.  Tonight the
numbers were a conservative 3000 birds and growing as a steady stream of
crows continued to fly in from the south and west.  Again they were forming
roosts in the trees along the river west of St. Rt. 416 as well as
congregating on the ground in the corn field by the mall.

A similar roost formed last winter and may have totaled 8 to 10,000 birds.
They formed nightly roosts along the river between Dover and New
Philadelphia as well as along Sugar Creek just west of I77 at Dover.

Dan Kramer

Bolivar