OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 14:08:33 -0400
A dark parasitic Jaeger was seen at the Lake Erie Bluffs in Lake County this morning.  The bird was seen on the lake a few hundred yards west of the overlook at the northwest corner of the trail west of Lane Road.  The bird was heading north from along the shoreline.  It appeared to head towards the breakwall at Fairport Harbor.

I didn't get out as early as I would have liked so I probably missed the best part of the lake migration.  I ended up seeing several hundred red-beeasted mergansers, 20 scaup, 12 loons and a couple grebes.  Early on, there were very few gulls moving on the lake, there was a good movement of herring and ring- billed gulls overhead though. Around11:00, there were small numbers of Bonaparte's gulls starting to pass by out on the lake.

Only other bird of note there this morning was an American kestrel.

John Pogacnik