OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2015 11:56:59 -0400
I agree largely with Dan and Cheryl about grouse habitat. For some
reason, writers about this bird slowly began adopting a party line that
the grouse prefers second-growth timber and clearings as habitat.
        Wheaton, an Ohio bird expert of the third quarter of the nineteenth
century, wrote this in his 'The Birds of Ohio' in 1882: "Common resident
in many localities, rare or absent in others. Breeds. It was formerly
much more numerous and widely distributed than now, but has decreased in
numbers with the rapid clearing away of timbered lands. It is now most
abundant, probably always has been, in the hilly portions of the State,
less frequent or almost exterminated in level woodlands. Very few remain
in the immediate vicinity of Columbus, where, fifteen or twenty years
since, they were not uncommon in some localities. Mr. Langdon gives no
records of its capture in the vicinity of Cincinnati, within this State.
In the Hocking Hills and their continuation northward, and in the hilly
region of Eastern Ohio, they are still common."
        Lynds Jones, in his "The Birds of Ohio," published in 1903 during the
next quarter-century, wrote: "This strictly woods game bird has rapidly
decreased in numbers in the last decade; partly because it has been so
persistently hunted and partly because its breeding haunts have been
destroyed in so many places...It is resident where it occurs at all,
remaining in the deep woods."
        Hicks's "Breeding Birds of Ohio" (1935) ventured the statement that
"This species probably occurred in every county of the state two
centuries ago" and that he had made a special study of the species for
the State. For this work, he stated that the grouse was no longer found
in 46 counties of Ohio, mentioning that "In the swampy forests of the
northwestern part of the state, the Ruffed Grouse were said to have been
so abundant (about 1840 to 1880) that they were killed by the hundreds
and shipped in barrels to Toledo or Detroit."
        A new orthodoxy came to life in later years. Trautman, in his 1940 work
"The Birds of Buckeye Lake," was to write: "The Ruffed Grouse was surely
a numerous species throughout early historic time. The original forests,
with their cover and abundance of berries and other foods, presented a
favorable environment. Later, when the forests were replaced by
brushlands and clearings, conditions should have become more favorable,
and it seems probable that the grouse then became more
numerous than it had been at the advent of the white man. Former market
hunters, old sportsmen, and farmers stated that the species was very
numerous between 1860 and 1870, that it decreased sharply in abundance
between 1875 and 1885, and that by 1890 it had become rare or absent."
He only hinted at the discrepancy that brushlands and clearings failed
to live up to the predictions of a more favorable environment.
        This discrepancy has become accepted since then. In 1966, in his "The
Birds of Canada", Godfrey was to write "Habitat. Mainly second growth
deciduous and mixed woodland, wood edges and openings, alder- and
willow-bordered ravines and stream edges, old orchards. Much less
partial to extensive stands of mature forest, but uses coniferous woods
for shelter."
        This view has become accepted dogma by game managers since then, and
now you will see state agencies touting clear-cutting because it is the
best thing for grouse.
Bill Whan
Cols