OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2015 16:14:10 -0400
I thought "The Ohio Birding Community" would be amused by the following information I sent to The Conneaut Port Authority, and the editor of The Conneaut Courier newspaper, back on September 11th, and then the article in The Courier on September 24th, forwarded to me by Ashtabula County birder Bob Krajeski of North Kingsville.

I thought The Port Authority and The Courier might be interested in this. Yesterday, Thursday September 10th, one of the once a year bird rarities, a Whimbrel (photo attached), was at "The Sandspit" for the day trying to rest up for the long migration journey ahead. I was not present at the sandspit last night, but received reports from birders from both Columbus and Erie, who said things were totally out of control. They said the celebrity visitor was chased no less than a dozen times by 4WD vehicles doing their sand spinouts and some driving straight for this large bird. I was informed the Whimbrel finally gave up about 8PM, and headed out. These good old boys always have to drive thru the remaining  water pools in their pickups, where the visiting shorebirds prefer to be. The Conneaut Port Authority regulations sign on the way in states: NO VEHICLES IN WATER - $500 FINE. As you can see from the one attached photo, these guys, with a large Confederate flag on a pole mounted in the back bed of the pickup, got stuck. Photo credits go to Leslie Sours of Columbus. When out of town visitors see these kind of happenings at the sandspit, I always think about the sign at the entrance to The Marina area, (#1 / LAKE ERIE BIRDING TRAIL). Of note; normally less than five Whimbrels per year in Ohio are seen, and almost always only at Conneaut. I love to watch the crazy people show, but not when the migrating birds are denied their opportunity to rest up.  Bob Lane ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The title in bold print of the newspaper story was (WHIMBREL CHASED AWAY FROM THE CONNEAUT SANDBAR), apparently "The Sandspit" is not an acceptable term. Here is the article: / CONNEAUT- Sept 10 marked a "once-a-year rarity" for birder Bob Lane during a visit to the sandbar. He spotted a Whimbrel. Normally, fewer than five Whimbrels per year are spotted in Ohio, but almost always in Conneaut. "The bird was trying to rest up for the long migration ahead, "Lane said in an e-mail. While things were peaceful for the visitor during the day, vehicles spoiled the stop-over for the Whimbrel. Lane heard from other birders from Columbus and Erie, Pa., later in the day that things went out of control as some vehicles doing "spin-outs" appeared to be headed in the bird's direction. Reports were that the Whimbrel was chased no less than a dozen times. "The bird finally gave up and headed out around 8PM". Lane said. "These good old local boys always have to drive thru the remaining water pools in their pick-ups, where the shorebirds prefer to be", he said. The trucks that, according to Lane, interrupted the Whimbrel's stay, with Confederate flags hanging from a ploe in the back, ended up getting stuck, Lane said. "When out-of-town visitors see these kinds of happenings at the sandbar, I think about the sign at the entrance to the marina area: (#1 Lake Erie Birding Trail), Lane said. "I love to watch the crazy people show, but not when migrating birds are denied their opportunity to rest up". / A second photo was of a stuck truck, with this explanation: The Conneaut Port Authority is addressing the reckless trucks issue on the sand bar but reminds the public that the sand bar belongs to everyone. / I appreciate the fact that this article was published, even though as usual, the facts are a bit incorrect, being that I was not even there! Bob Lane -------------------------------------------------------------------- Of further interest is the fact that on the front page of the same newspaper, the headline story was about TourismOhio Director Mary Cusick and Ohio Representative John Patterson (D-99) visiting Ashtabula County on September 19th, and liking what they saw. Conneaut Tourism Board members took them to the bluff overlook at The Conneaut Township Park to view the site of the annual D-Day Event. Some of the statements made were: Looking at Lake Erie, she added, "You're lucky you have that. No one in Central Ohio does". Then Patterson, raising his hands to the sky at the bluffs of Township Park, thanked Mother Nature for the exquisite backdrop. Unfortunately, museums and events were the only tourism that was talked about. Eco-tourism, including birding, and the significance of "The Sandspit", was never addressed! From my point of view, any thought of any type of protection at "The Sandspit", seems to be a hopeless cause!!! Bob Lane