OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2015 00:31:55 +0000
Etched in my memory is an experience that few birders encounter and one that will not soon be forgotten. I was a student at Hocking Technical College from 1984-1986 and at one time during those years I lived off campus in Buchtel, OH, right smack in the middle of Wayne National Forest in what I believe is Hocking county. There was an extensive forest behind the house where I stayed and I would often hike back in those hills, sometimes getting lost. At the time I owned a full body bark camouflage suit, a camo hat and camo mesh to put over my face. One particular day as I was hiking in those hills I founded a log that had some fresh scat on it. Having had a game animals class at school where we learned how to identify bird and mammal scat, I quickly recognized this scat as belonging to a ruffed grouse. I knew this had to be a drumming log and the male grouse would return eventually to the log. Uphill from the log was a large tree. Using my full body camo outfit, including camo gloves, I sat down and leaned up against the tree. Sure enough, after a period of patient waiting and keeping very still and quiet, I witnessed one of my fondest birding experiences in recent memory. A male ruffed grouse hopped up onto the log and began drumming. I only carried binoculars that day. My only regret is not having a camera, but I can still see this grouse to this day in my mind. It would be a shame to see this wonderful bird disappear from that region. David A. Brinkman, M.Ed.7th and 8th grade Science TeacherSouth Dearborn Middle SchoolAurora, IN