OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2015 14:52:37 -0400

WHO:             Protect
Geauga Parks

WHAT:           Conservation Conversation

“BACK TO THE
WILD”

Wildlife
exhibit and presentation with live animal guests

SPEAKER:    Mona Rutger

                        Founder
and Director, BACK TO THE WILD wildlife rehabilitation center

TOPIC:          The
impact of humans on wildlife, how we can help, plus fun facts and interesting
life histories of some of Ohio's native wildlife. It's amazing what you can
find in your own backyard!

WHERE:       Kent State University Geauga Campus

                        14111
Claridon Troy Road

                        Burton,
Ohio 44021

Free parking,
no admission charge

WHEN:          Saturday, October 24, 2015

TIME:            2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

CONTACT:    Kathy Hanratty 440-477-5468

Salamanders, toads, frogs, tortoises, turtles, snakes – these
are amazing animals that seldom get the recognition they deserve, and they will
be part of BACK TO THE WILD’s live animal exhibit.

BACK TO THE WILD is a volunteer, non-profit wildlife
rehabilitation center in northwest Ohio. Its primary mission is to rehabilitate
injured, orphaned and displaced wildlife and ultimately release them into their
natural habitat.  Mona Rutger, founder
and Director of BACK TO THE WILD was recently nominated as a CNN Hero of the
Year.  BACK TO THE WILD has been featured
on Animal Planet and was voted Hero of the Year on the Animal Planet website in
2006, a recognition that came with an award of $10,000.  BACK TO THE WILD does not charge for groups
to visit, nor for bringing in an injured animal for rehabilitation.  They will also take their show on the road
for educational programs.

About 90% of the animal injuries are human related, from
‘wild’ pets that are no longer wanted, raptors tangling with power lines, or
turtles run over on the road.  "We
have a pair of bobcats that will never leave," said Rutger. "They
were someone's pets, and declawed." The wildlife rehabilitation rules are
strict, and Rutger follows them to the letter.  Mona Rutger will share her story and the story
of BACK TO THE WILD at the KSU Campus in Burton.  Passion for nature, compassion for wildlife.

Protect Geauga Parks

We LOVE our parks and want to support the original mission to

CONSERVE, PRESERVE and
PROTECT!

###

Sandy Buckles "We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards that those who follow us may see our mark on the land was one of respect and love....."( From a trail marker at Settler's Cove, near Ketchikan , Alaska.)Robert B. Oetting