OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2015 02:05:32 -0400
Well, shorebird activity is FINALLY picking up in the three ponds back on
LaRue - Prospect...well really just the middle pond. :-D  I was able to
relocate most of the 66 White-rumped Sandpipers reported Sunday,  but was
also able to add a flock of Golden Plovers...that flew in, put their feet
on the ground, then took of again. :-D.
Other things of note 1 Dunlin...just 1 on the east side of the pond. I was
also able to get  Western on the west side of the pond.  I wasn't able to
get a photograph of it, lighting is terrible back there.  So I'm going back
on Thursday in hopes of finding it again.

Other habitat this season: The pond behind the barn has held some
shorebirds in it as well, but it is a tough hike to get back in
there...bring boots. :-D. The pond to the east of the observation deck on
SR 95 has been drained a little, and is a good place to get a Snipe if you
need one for the year.

Below is my list from today (Tuesday )  I didn't make it all the way back
to the end of the middle pond, so the counts are probably a bit low. :-D

Happy Birding, and God Bless.

Steve J.

Big Island Wildlife Area--North of Larue-Prospect Rd., Marion, Ohio, US
Oct 6, 2015 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
29 species

Trumpeter Swan  6
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  2