OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
Jim Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2015 15:14:27 -0400
Scott,
I would keep the following in mind if you are bird watching  on or near state wildlife hunting areas.
1.waterfowl hunting normally begins 1/2 hour before sunrise.
For your safety you could wear a hunter's orange cap or vest.
Since deer and waterfowl seasons can overlap I would always advise wearing bright orange when out during hunting seasons.
2. Be respectful and courteous to hunters and other outdoor users on wildlife management areas and other public lands.

Ohio sportsmen contribute the vast majority of funding, which ensures the successful management of wildlife for the benefit of all to enjoy.

3. Wear bright colors. If you decide to watch wildlife or hike in an area where hunters may be present, be sure to wear bright colors, especially orange and yellow (avoid white). Big game hunters, by state law, are required to wear at least 500 square inches of fluorescent orange when hunting deer, bear, which is achieved with a hat and vest. Non-hunters should follow the same rules, especially when hiking in areas when encountering hunters is possible.

4. Identify Yourself. If you see someone hunting and are not sure if they see you, make distinguishing noises only humans make. Most hunters appreciate knowing when someone else is in the area that they are hunting. While these noises might upset some hunters, safety is the most important priority in the management of our public lands.

Hopefully this helps.

Jim Kimmel

You can view the Ohio waterfowl seasons here:
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/pdfs/publications/laws%20&%20regs/pub295.pdf

Sent from JSK's iPhone