OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2015 21:43:02 -0400
I birded several areas along Darby Creek (west of Columbus) this morning, looking for late migrants with some success.  I started at Darby Bend lakes of Prairie Oaks MetroPark, then went south to the Teal Trail wetlands of Battelle-Darby, followed by Trail of Ancients, and finishing with a raptor vigil at the Confluence of the Darbys (which was largely a bust: 7 Turkey Vultures, 1 Red-tail in 30 minutes).  The cool weather seemed to wipe out many of the remaining insects, so insectivores were scarce. I walked the Teal Trail for sparrows, but the habitat here has matured into tall prairie, reducing chances for Nelson's &  Notables included:

Shorebirds - 14+ Killdeer & 1 Snipe were around Darby Bend Lakes
Waterfowl - not much yet, but Darby Bend lakes had flocks of Geese, Mallards, and 2 Pied-billed Grebes
Flycatcher - nothing but E.Phoebes, but did have 3 of them
Wrens - a Winter was at Trail of Ancients, while a Marsh was calling along the Teal Trail
Kinglets - Ruby-crowns were at several spots, but the only Golden-crown was along the Trail of Ancients
Thrushes - only had 2 Hermit Thrushes along Trail of Ancients
CedarWaxwings - small flocks on many places, mostly around berry bushes
Warblers - Yellow-rumps common, but also had 1 Orange-crown (at Darby Bend lakes), 1 Black-thr.Green (at Trail of Ancients), and 2 ComYellowthroats
Sparrows - lots of White-throats and Song Sparrows along woodland edges, while Swamp Sparrows were abundant along the Teal Trail (15+).  Also had Lincolns (DBL) and Savannah (Teal Trail)
Blackbirds - early flocks of Redwings were flying over Darby Bend Lakes and the Teal Trail, while Trail of Ancients had a sizeable flock of Grackles (1500+)