OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:36:43 -0400
Yesterday, Sunday October 11th, we held our 7th Annual Big Sit at The Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary in eastern Mahoning County. The all day event was held at the observation deck at 2650 Calla Road. During the day, we recorded 70 species of birds from the seventeen foot diameter count circle. Thru the seven years we have varied from a low of 61, to last years high of 82 (Ohio's 2014 high count). Amazingly the average is 70, which we had this year. Our best bird was definitely a Fox Sparrow; with other highlights being the Bald Eagle pair, a Peregrine Falcon, a Great Horned Owl, Greater Yellowlegs, Rusty Blackbirds, and numerous Great Egrets, just to name a few. During the day we probably had over 40 visitors come and go. About 16 dedicated, skilled birders were the main core of participants, being represented from six Ohio counties: Mahoning, Columbiana, Stark, Ashtabula, Geauga, and Jefferson. We also had a non-birder from Palm Beach, Florida stopped by to see all the hoopla. The nice weather brought the locals from the neighborhood out, creating a wonderful social event. It was a great opportunity to introduce bird watching to those who were unfamiliar with the excitement that can be had. What a memorable day.

Bob and Denise Lane