OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
August Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
August Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 01:50:41 +0000
Recent discussions about Peregrines vs Ducks reminded me that an early common name for Peregrines was Duck Hawk.

The Cleveland Museum of Art holds a painting by John James Audubon vividly illustrating this point. Accord to their site:

"Occasionally the artist, sometimes with the help of assistants, made oil versions of his watercolors, of which this image of two falcons feasting on fresh duck carcasses is an early and especially lively example."

http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1964.351

August Froehlich
Dublin, OH